Now that your database is split into a back-end and a front-end, (if you haven’t then read this article) you should be getting frustrated having to delete all linked tables and re-link them. This will need to be done each time you need to connect to test data, or live data, or the back-end is moved.
It is even more problematic if the database is used by more than one organisation. Then when redistributing the front-end after changes, each front-end must be connected to a different back-end, in each of the client organisations. Some of the back-ends could be Microsoft Access databases, or they might be full SQL servers located in an I.T. Department. This means the location for the back-end might be the H: drive, the N Drive or a computer specific name such as //servername/DatabaseShare, or even a SQL server. Worse still, the locations could be different for the same database in the same organisation for different users. For example, what is N drive for one staff member could be a T drive for another. What is needed is a solution where each user can have their own back-end database connection linking address saved, separate from the front-end, so that when the front end is updated, the back-end is relinked automatically for the end-user.
The Automatic Re-link Solution
Our solution has these benefits
- The end user doesn’t have to do anything. The automatic re-linking just happens.
- Multiple database types are handled.
- Quick, easy, & simple for the software developer, the end users and all the support staff.
- Did I mention absolutely free?
Our solution solves all of these problems.
- Re-link a Microsoft Access reconnection
- Re-link a SQL server reconnection (ODBC)
- Automatically detect if the back-end database is not connected and reconnect, without end-user intervention.
- Ability to save a default connection for each user. Once saved the front-end will always try to re-connect to the default connection.
Microsoft Access Automatic re-link tool
To download please complete this form and then you can start using our automatic back-end re-linker straight away.
In order to receive the automatic re-linking tool, you will need to sign up to our mailing list. We promise not to email you more than once per month. We will never pass on your details to anyone. You may unsubscribe at any time.
We will bring you more Microsoft Access tips and tools and generally make your life as a database programmer or I.T. support person much much easier.